Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Dowdy to Chic....


Nothing thrills me more than doing a little thrifting and finding a gem in the rough - even if it needs a little TLC to make it shine again.  Sometimes it's hard for us to see the beauty and potential in an item that has been worn to the bones over the years, but that's what today's post is all about!

Quill Notes Tip on Thrifting:
1. Lines - This chair has elegant curves which gives it a feminine touch
2. Construction - Sturdy as a rock
3. Manufacturer - Thomasville in this case
4. WOW factor - for me, I fall for caning EVERY TIME....I love how the caning on this piece adds a sense of openness...it makes the piece feel less bulky in a space and allows for the eye to see through the furniture.

Here is a little find...although this is it in the beginning's of the deconstruction phase...that was worn and weathered and had the lovely scent of years worth of cigarette smoke.  So I took the bull by the horns and went after refreshing this Thomasville winged back.

Step 1 :: Get that fabric OFF!



Step 2 :: Batting/Foam has to go.


I removed all of the fabric and batting that I could in order to remove all traces of cigarette smoke and anything else that found it's way into this piece over the years.

Step 3 :: Tape off Remaining Batting for Paint!



Step 4 :: Make sure to sand, sand, sand BEFORE painting!

It is important to get off any finish or old paint and to have a clean surface for the new paint to adhere to - this prevents chipping and peeling.

Out of all steps, the sanding took the longest but was one of the most important steps, so don't skimp....put a little elbow grease in it :)

Step 5 :: Paint!



I wanted to get the chalk paint effect, but it is so expensive!  I opted for the next best alternative which is a matte finish white paint.  I use a foam roller to apply the paint for an even coat and applied about 3-4 coats with a couple of hours of drying time in between.....on a warm Spring day drying time doesn't take too long!

I also wanted an antique look, so I purchased a glaze from Lowe's and rubbed it over the final coat of white paint.  The glaze is pretty easy to use...just apply it with a rag and then while it's still wet, wipe off as much or as little as you like until you get the desired effect you are looking for.

The final step is to add a polyurethane coat to seal the paint and reduce the possibility of getting any chips or scratches on your new paint job!





Step 6 :: Off to the Upholsterer

One thing I DON'T do but wish I knew how is upholstery.  I can upholster simple items like a footstool or chair cushion but unfortunately not an entire chair.  



It's Finished!

For this piece, I chose Cotton + Quill's Koi in Flax printed on cotton (Linen Cotton $68/yd, Cotton $62/yd here) for the seat back and cushion with a coordinating solid linen on the backside, arms and welting.  Since I did most of the work myself, I opted for hand-hammered nailhead trim - icing on the cake!

Now go find that little gem hidden in the rough and make it shine again!



4 comments:

  1. Loving that gorgeous chair! The fabric looks fab on it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. MC - WOW....I love it...and love the combination of the light fabric and the white chair. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rach!!! This was a fun piece to do :) Miss you!!! xoxo

      Delete

We would love to hear from you! Please share you thoughts.