Friday, March 28, 2014

Create a Refreshing....


SPRING TERRACE

Spring has FINALLY arrived, and if you are like me, you can hardly wait to freshen up your outdoor terrace to welcome the warm, breezy evenings ahead.  I did a little sprucing up on my back porch earlier this week - where I will be enjoying the weekend with a crisp glass of chardonnay and a good book.

As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I have currently been reading through Jennifer Boles recently released book, In with the Old, and I have been flooded with inspiration.  From orangeries to garden stools, I want it all - so this is exactly what I am using for inspiration in my guide for creating a refreshing Spring Terrace.


1. Potted Orange Tree
I am still on the lookout for this lovely fruit tree, but another alternative that I think is equally as lovely is the traditional topiary which you can find at just about any nursery in your area.

2. Garden Stool
Found some for under $100 locally at Home Goods in Birmingham & 
Southeastern Salvage in Irondale

3. Sisal Rug
Another bargain find... 8x10 for under $100 available at a Big Lots near you!

4. LED Twig Branches
Also currently available at Big Lots & now on sale for under $10!!
* Try mixing these in with fresh greenery or just drop them in an urn &
 let them speak for themselves!

Who says outdoors can't feel like an extension of the inside of your home?  After all, your terrace will be the spot where you will be entertaining, cooking bar-b-que, sipping coffee in the mornings or wine in the evenings or even taking a cat nap for the next few months..... 

I certainly think it deserves to be just as comfortable and welcoming as your favorite indoor space, but this doesn't mean you have to break the bank having custom drapes made - this is why we turn to painter's drop clothes!

Painter's drop clothes are an extremely cost effective way to soften the space around a screened-in porch or deck while holding up to the elements outdoors - they are also extremely easy to find..just check your nearest hardware store!

Image via House Beautiful
Add a few large grommets with a tailored hem and you have yourself an elegant and custom look at a fraction of the cost of custom drapery panels.

Now, if painter's drop clothes just aren't for you, and you really want to go above and beyond, then you must incorporate a folly,  whimsical or extravagant structure built to serve as a conversation piece, etc found especially in England in the 18th century, into your outdoor space.

Image via Dering Hall

This stunning folly, designed by renowned architect Bill Ingram, mimics a tartan tent & doubles as an outdoor pavilion.  I was so inspired by this design, I created my own vision of how I could recreate the look on a much smaller scale and of course within a budget.

Sketch via Cotton + Quill
Incorporating Cotton + Quill's textiles from the newest Terrace Collection, I used Shu Te's Chintz in Mint to create an awning with a pair of panels offering an inviting yet intimate seating area.  Pile bold pillows on a classic iron couch flanked with a pair of garden stools to create a lounge-worthy space.  

This would also by an opportune time to add that orange tree or topiary and create a garden right on your porch.  This look is ideal for a sunroom as well.

Side View of Seating Area via Cotton + Quill
Now, get in Spring Cleaning/Decorating mode and make it your weekend goal to create an outdoor space worthy of spending many of your days and night over upcoming months!

Happy Friday & Here's to the WEEKEND!


No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you! Please share you thoughts.